Pros And Cons Of Playing Video Games
I’m sure we all have played video games, and there was a time when we couldn’t imagine our life without shooting soldiers, driving cool cars or building massive empires.
It’s fun, it’s addictive, it’s relaxing, so why not? When there are so many games out there, everyone can find what they are looking for and enjoy it.
I won’t lie, I have spent a lot of time on video games throughout my whole life. It was basically my favorite activity for many years.
The virtual world can suck you in very easily. With games like “Skyrim” and “The Witcher” it’s really hard NOT to get sucked into it... It can make you feel like you’re a part of a beautiful new reality.
Probably most people around you say that video games are bad, and you should stay away from them and find better hobbies, but have they ever told you that video games can actually be good for you in a way?
Let’s talk about pros and cons of playing video games. Remember that there is nothing either good or bad, everything is balanced.
Pros And Cons Of Playing Video Games – Let’s Play!
Like most things in life, video games have cons and pros. If you spend all day playing video games, most likely you will experience only the side effects.
But if you keep it short, you will experience some benefits. I know, it’s really hard to stop playing once you’re really into a game, you forget your surroundings and feel comfortable.
Still, you can’t allow that feeling of comfort take over your mind, you MUST resist playing all day long.
Why Video Games Are Good For You
For some reason people always prioritize bad things over the good ones, so I’m gonna start with good things.
1. Every time you start playing a new video game you are forced to learn and adapt. New controls, new goals and new styles makes you constantly learn new things and simply adapt to new environments. Learning how to adapt is a good skill that you must have in your life.
2. Sometimes in your daily life you will have to think fast and make quick and correct decisions its very difficult for some people and some specific video games like Call of Duty or World Of Warcraft will highly improve your reaction, and your ability to make fast decisions.
3. Some multiplayer video games which require to constantly communicate with other players will force you to speak other languages and that may help you to learn a foreign language and that is really good since the ability to speak multiple languages boosts your intellect, memory and simply make you a more interesting person.
4. Video games might help people who have social anxiety or depression. If you struggle and feel uncomfortable while talking with people you might feel differently when everything happens in the virtual world and when no one knows how you look or what is your real name.
5. Video games can help you socialize. You might make new friends and connections, you can talk with people from all around the world who already have at least one same interest as you do.
6. Strategy games are really amazing. I used to spend hours while building empires or beautiful cities, such video games will improve your creativity. Also, you will be forced to manage money or resources and that skill will be useful for your entire life.
7. War strategy games will highly improve your strategic thinking, your ability to plan things ahead, and I can promise you that the joy when your brilliant plan succeeds will boost your mood for entire day. It’s good for your confidence as well, because you will feel POWERFUL.
8. You struggle with history classes? Many video games use historical events and you might learn quite a few things about historical cultures and empires like Rome. Basically, you get to learn about history in a fun and creative way!
9. Some games make you multitask a lot and that is a really great skill to have in your arsenal.
10. Fun fact – some tests show that people who are good at playing video games are better surgeons than people who are bad or don’t play video games at all.
11. Video games that are played in group, like League of Legends or World Of Warcraft can help you improve leadership skills, because someone has to lead that group to success, why not you? There are leaders everywhere, but most of them are bad, you have a chance to become a great one.
12. There are games can be played in multiplayer mode and that might be perfect hobby for a couple. The couple will be forced to work as a team and that will strengthen their connection.
13. When you are in pain, or recovering from surgery, video games might help you to relieve not only emotional pain but physical as well.
14. Do you feel like you are too old for some activities? You are never too old to play video games, you will simply have fun and remember your old childhood days.
15. The last and most important benefit is that video games will help you to relax and have fun. Our daily lives are filled with stressful and worrying situations. Playing video games can make you forget for a while. The more you relax, the better your life will be!
Why You Should Stay Away From Video Games
1. Video games might be expensive. Assuming that you won’t just illegally download, extract, install and play the game. Also some online multiplayer games are really expensive, and they have many attributes and small improvements that you can get only by paying even more money.
2. Gaming addiction is a serious thing. You can get addicted for many things in your life, and video games aren’t an exception. I remember those days and nights that I’ve spent building castles and killing soldiers, and I regret that wasted time. I got addicted by video games really badly and later it was really hard to fight that addiction, because I couldn’t imagine my life without games.
3. Playing video games will draw your attention from reality to virtual world. If you find yourself thinking about games more than the real world then you are already in trouble. You constantly send your energy to things that you are currently thinking about, so don’t send your energy to shooting soldiers or driving virtual cars. FOCUS on real life things, because it’s way more important than the virtual world.
4. Some video games like ”Grand Theft Auto series” might corrupt your mind. You might become more violent and cruel. Also, since most of the games are about “kill or be killed” scenario, you are more likely to become a criminal in real life. I mean seriously, video games can corupt your mind so be careful!
5. You get back from school or work and you decide to relax for a while and play something for like an hour. Then after 8 hours you simply take a look through your window and realize that it’s dark already and you have to get up early tomorrow…
Did it ever happen to you? because it did happen to me… video games might steal hours – days – and months even without you recognizing it. it’s really time-consuming so be aware that time flies fast already, and when you start playing it will fly twice as fast.
6. When you get into the “sleep – eat – play – repeat” schedule you might gain some weight. It’s really bad for your muscles and it’s terrible for your physical health. Remember that it’s unhealthy to do nothing all day. So imagine what would happen after a month or a year. If you care about your body and health then you shouldn’t spend too much time killing soldiers and bombing cities.
7. When all your thoughts are occupied with video games, you might start failing in real life. For example, you can’t score high on a math test when you are thinking about a beautiful castle that you have built last night, or you can’t focus at work properly when all you can think of is driving that Porsche and escaping from cops.
8. Be aware of bad posture. You are trying to sit comfortably, but usually it ends up in awkward position and your posture becomes worse every year so straighten your back!
9. Do you like wearing glasses? sure it looks good on some people, and it might make you look smart or intelligent, but when you can’t see properly without glasses you become reliable on them. Eyes are soft and you shouldn’t hurt them. So, make sure to take longer brakes from playing games.
10. Everyone had/has that one friend who is always at home and very rarely joins any kind of activity. Video games might steal you from your friends. Also, it becomes way harder to find a soul mate (unless you will manage to find someone who likes video games as well), it simply hurts your relationships.
11. Video games might isolate you from rest of the world. Yes sometimes it’s really good to stay away from people and be alone for a while, but not too much, because one day when you finally get out of your cave, you might not look so good.
12. There are some experiences that everyone should experience, but since you spend way too much time on video games, you will miss some important experiences and without them your life in the future might be harder.
13. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter how well you played, because your real life accomplishments remain empty. You are alive for a limited time and there is so many different activities that you should try and experience. There are so many accomplishments to achieve. So, don’t waste your life in the virtual world, because reality is moving on with or without you.
Keep A Good Balance
So there you go, pros and cons of playing video games.
Everything in life is okay in small portions, and very bad if you cross the line so keep it balanced. Play for a while, but not too much, sit in correct posture and be aware of the clock.
Try to set a time limit for how long you can play. Allow yourself to play only for a few hours per day. If you’re very addicted to them, keep reducing the time you spend on video games each week.
Don’t try to cut it off immediately, because it’s going to be hard for you to maintain focus on anything.
Remember that the most important thing in video games is to have fun, so if you see that game makes you feel bad, depressed or angry just quit gaming, or search for a different game.
As long as you manage to set healthy mind set, and don’t cross the line I think playing video games can be a good hobby, however if you cross the line you will get addicted and you will be in trouble!
How often do you play video games? Are you spending a lot of time on them? Comment below!